Did you know that it only takes a Matter of Minutes for a child to be injured or killed when left alone in or near an unattended vehicle?
Volunteers of America seeks to prevent needless injury or death to children through education and outreach. We are spreading the word to parents, grandparents, caregivers and child care professionals through the Matter of Minutes public awareness campaign.
Thousands of children and families across the country are tragically affected by non-traffic related incidents with vehicles. Children left unattended in parking lots, driveways and the home garage can suffer devastating consequences like:
suffering from heatstroke, being abducted, leaving the car and getting run over, or accidentally setting the car in motion.
How can you help?
- Never leave children alone in or near a car
- If you see a child locked in a car- CALL 911!
- Teach children not to play in or near cars, even in driveways or parking lots
- Keep keys away from children and keep cars locked
- Check cars and trunks immediately if a child is missing
- Check that all passengers have left the car once it is parked
To sponsor Matter of Minutes materials or if you would like to distribute Matter of Minutes materials at your workplace, church or community center, please call Partnerships in Child Care at 225-926-8005.