February Ministry Column
"What's Love Got to Do With It?"
By Eboness Black
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
What's love got to do with it? Everything! Loving when you least feel like it and they least deserve it, is when you love like God. That kind of love can actually transform others in the same way that Christ's love transforms us.
Based on what you've just read, take a second, and evaluate the quality of your love based on these questions.
- Do you suffer patiently when others are being difficult?
- Are you kind, even when they are not?
- Do you make a point of giving them the credit?
- Do you refuse to treat them rudely?
- Do you refuse to demand your own way?
- Do you refrain from using threats or uncontrolled anger?
- Do you take no pleasure when something bad happens to them?
- Do you tell them the truth, even when it's difficult?
- Do you handle 'graciously' whatever comes?
- Do you believe in them, even when they don't believe in themselves?
- Do you love them regardless?
Well - how did you do?
About Eboness Black
Eboness is the Director of VOAGBR's Disability Services. She has been an employee of Volunteers of America for 16 years and became a commissioned minister in 2013.